What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tractor time

Yesterday evening, I took the tractor and blade into paddocks #1 and 2 to level and smooth out the ground where we had the septic lines laid two years ago. They had formed three big ridges in the ground that made cutting difficult. As you can see, the problem has been fixed. Yes, we'll get grass seed on it soon.

This morning I put the bush hog on the tractor and tackled the heavy weed infestation in our chicken paddock. It is steep which makes it a challenge. All the fowl headed into their shed for protection.

We had put our goat Percy in this paddock a few weeks ago to eat the weeds, but we would have needed several more goats and several more weeks to clear it. I couldn't wait any longer.

Besides the steep incline, I had to maneuver around stumps, rocks, and...

...trees.

Then I had to constantly drive slowly down hill to get on level ground in order to turn gently back up hill to avoid tipping over. Even then, my front wheels slid sideways or came up off the ground a few times on the up hill route.

Yes, I should have moved the water trough and the stack of metal, but I was in a hurry to mow weeds and move on to several other tasks I had today. S took these pictures while trying to wave and get my attention to tell me it was time to drive to another town 45 miles away. We ended up being 10 minutes late to her appointment, but I am happy I got the weeds mowed!

The chickens and turkeys seem happy as well.

Our county road crew has been busy the past few days resurfacing our road with oil and gravel. This is a view to the east of our house.

And this is the road heading west from our house along paddocks # 5 and 6. We own the land on both sides of the road, but everything on the left of this photo is a long, narrow, hilly strip of land. It is about 1 1/2 acres in total. I am tempted to fence it and put goats or sheep on it, but there is no water. Any ideas on how to make it productive (besides putting a lemonade stand on it)?

4 comments:

  1. The road looks good!
    I am glad you got that all done! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the view down the road! It's really pretty and it reminds me of my grandparents driveway : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything you could plant there? Perhaps a corn feed plot, or turnips, or something else to attract deer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blackberries! And good job in the fowl paddock.

    ReplyDelete