What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Another new calf!

Heidi surprised us yesterday, Monday 20 August, by delivering her calf a full month earlier than I expected.  It is a heifer! Looks black, but hoping she turns dark red. K7 spotted her within a few hours of birthing. By the time we got out to paddock #5 with the camera, the calf was still wet from Momma licking her clean, but standing and walking around.

K8 verified its a girl. A real cutie.

Family photo of their first meal together. We took some grain along with us just in case we had to bribe Momma cow to let us get close to the calf (no need) and if you have grain with you, make sure there is enough for Poppa bull,"Red", - or else he gets real grumpy.

A pretty day to be born. It was also the coolest day we have had in a while, in the low 80's.

Any suggestions on what to name her? 

Like Mother, like daughter! All systems are functioning and normal. A good Momma Dexter cow. A good birth.  Equals a really good day on the Wanch!

7 comments:

  1. Yeah I think you should name her after me . . . .lol! jk! She is so cute! My grandparents haven't had any calves in a long time and I miss seeing them : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie is right our grandparents haven't had a calve is awhile! She is super cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should name her Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not use the name Sadie, because it is already taken by my very cute grand daughter (K1's oldest). Also, this heifer is definitely black, and not red...if that helps with naming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I didn't know you had a "Sadie". I've always thought that was a cute name. :) Hmm... How about... "Peppa" or "Pepper". It's black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just an idea, how about "Liz Taylor"? I think it would be humorous. She has such a pretty coat and face.

    ReplyDelete