What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

No thistles allowed

We are proud of our Scottish blood and heritage. K7's middle name is my Mother's Highland clan name. The thistle has  been the national emblem of Scotland since the reign of King Alexander III (1249-1286). Yes, we're related to him, but no, I haven't been contacted about inheriting the crown.

Despite the royal connection with our ancient heritage, when these prickly weeds start growing in my small pastures, with our limited amount of grass, the thistles have got to go! We do not use any poisons on the Wanch, so the only way to permanently remove them is to dig them out by the roots with a shovel. You can not touch any part of them, even with leather gloves, without getting a painful "prick". 

Not the boys favorite farm chore, but they did it without any complaints, for which I am grateful. We are also grateful to have K6 return home last Sunday. He has pitched in and begun helping with farm chores.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I would really enjoy that prickly chore either . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool history lesson. Well done lads on the prickly chore!

    ReplyDelete