What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sad day at the Wanch as we say farewell to Tex, a great family dog.

Tex died yesterday, Tuesday the 21st of June. We buried him on the highest point over-looking the pond. It is a sunny and cheerful spot. I have never mentioned on this blog that he was dying of cancer. Like all families fighting this evil enemy, we always hoped for a miracle.

We did not know about the cancer when he arrived at the Wanch in January, but I suspect the breeder who gave him to us knew. Tex was large and gentle, and it was great to have Dandy's father with us for six good months of bonding. He looked and acted healthy when he arrived, but he had a large lump on his left hip.

He started developing many more lumps, or tumors. He scratched and chewed them. Over time he lost energy and weight. He was covered in open sores. Once the vet confirmed it was widely spread and inoperable cancer, we held a family council to decide when to end his misery. It was agreed that we would keep him alive as long as he had "a sparkle in his eye and a spring in his step". He started losing those vital signs of life a few weeks ago. He never once cried out or snapped at any of us. He was super sweet as always, and he loved to have his ears rubbed. Monday afternoon, a friend, who loves dogs as much as we do, saw how bad Tex was, and offered to "put him down" for me. I greatly appreciated his offer, and was tempted, but said it was my responsibility to do. Tuesday morning, Tex could not move at all and was now obviously suffering, so we gathered for a family prayer. K2 and K7 gently and lovingly moved him to the hill above the pond where the boys had already prepared his grave months ago. K6 scrubbed the front porch where flies had been tormenting Tex, while I loaded my pistol with a heavy heart. K7 helped me bury him and cover his grave with rocks. More than a few tears were shed by everyone, just as we did when we lost my sister and my mother to the same dreaded disease in recent years. Just a dog? Not hardly! Some of you young ones reading this blog need to get medical and science degrees to keep moving us forward in the battle against cancer (human and animals - its the same disease). Thank goodness that the sun came out later on Tuesday and our many nieces and nephews came over to fill our pond with laughter and life. It really helped to lift our spirits.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post Dad-I'm glad Tex had a great last six months

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops Katherine is still logged on-but this is K3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry......that's very sad : (

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly sorry for your loss...I know how that feels.

    Love and a hug,

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete