What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Back to work on the wanch!


If you will remember back 2 months, I hired the Boy Scout troop to come and clear brush in exchange for money toward their summer camp fees. We created a bunch of big brush piles.

12 piles to be exact. Then the rains came and everything was wet for a month. I tried burning some before UK trip, but no joy. 

So on Monday of this week I rented a bobcat to help me make 4 piles out of 12, and after having K6 set them on fire, I used the bobcat to continually push and compact the burning piles while I added more logs and brush. The bobcat has lights so I worked until 10:00 P.M. This pic is early Tuesday morning. I added more trash and brush to the hot coals and the fire came back to life.


This was the first pile. I started in paddock number 1 around 7:30 P.M. Monday, and I made one huge pile. No copperhead snakes, but we did uncover a nest full of baby rats. Jimmy the cat will be happy.

I am glad K6 enjoys this kind of work. Yes, we cheated and used fuel to ignite the piles...I wanted them gone. Unfortunately, I wasn't laughing Tuesday morning. I thought my left elbow was feeling pretty good, so I used it to lift some logs out of stream bed into the scoop. Log #3 wrecked my elbow again. I decided to finally go see a doctor and get this thing fixed. Ice pack every 2 hours, anti-inflamatory pills, arm sling for short periods, extra Reliv shakes, and DON'T USE THE LEFT ARM! I'm glad I'm right-handed.

2 comments:

  1. It is so beautiful and green there. I like the photo of K6 in the bobcat. Makes me smile and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kabs you and Dad look like you're having a lot of fun (in spite of bad elbow and jeg lag...and 100 degree weather) :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete