What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

How many shots to kill a rabid raccoon? Depends on who is holding the gun, angle of the sun...

The boys and I were at Boy Scouts and poor S comes home after a long day at the hospital to find a raccoon acting queer (that means acting odd). It was just sitting outside our fence, while the sun was still out - pretty unusual since we had 5 dogs on the inside of the fence barking and wanting to eat it. S suspected it might have rabies and pulled a small revolver and started blasting away - sure is great living out in the unregulated rural Ozarks. How did she do?

Taking into account that she was inexperienced, extremely tired, stressed out, the target was probably moving, the setting sun was in her eyes, and a gentle breeze was blowing across the road, I will chalk this one up to a  practice session. After finally wounding the demonic critter, she eventually called me for some coaching tips. She had not been checked out on a pump shotgun, so I recommended using K8's youth size .22 caliber single-shot bolt action rifle, and stick the barrel through the fence. She was then able to put the diseased guy out of his misery in short order. She left him outside the gate in a black trash bag for me to place in the bed of my truck later that night. I called the Health Department first thing next morning and they had me take it to a local animal clinic for testing. We get the results back next Monday, but most people in the area say he got what he deserved. And yes, I think Santa will be bringing S a double-barreled shotgun for Christmas. At least we'll save ammo and she will hit it first time every time.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! She actually did that???
    I would have been too scared... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to repeat this experience. I was actually afraid. It was attacking the fence, not sitting there. It had four dogs barking frantically and it was daylight. It was rabid. I was afraid it would climb the fence. So, glad for a rifle. Much easier for me to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad looked through our UK trip photos/post and really enjoyed seeing the trip again through your telling! THank you so much for taking the time to share our adventures!! they will always be here for me to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, You are very welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed our Father & Daughter trip to Aunt Margaret's. I will cherish the photos and memories as well. England and Scotland were great to visit, but there is no place like the USA where citizens have the freedoms we enjoy...like the right to shoot a rabid raccoon when needed!

    ReplyDelete