What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

A day-trip to Lake Windemere in the Lake District

We had a little rain in the morning on the drive up. The Lake District is in Cumbria with its rugged hill country.

How would you like to run a marathon on this tiny road with cars only inches away coming up behind you?  K3 and I were sorry we didn't know about this marathon, or we would have brought our running shoes...

Andrew invited us to accompany him and we were thrilled. The little island to the left is full of nesting swans.

The "staging" of more pictures.


Lake Windemere is 11 miles long and 1 1/2 miles wide. We had mostly sunny skies with the odd rain storm blowing through. No, those are not swans behind Andrew, but wild Mallard ducks.

Lunch at "Lazy Daisy's" cafe. K3 and I started by splitting a fabulous bowl of mushroom and Stilton cheese soup, and then they brought out the local "special" - Giant Yorkshire pudding with mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and gravy topped with a Cumbrian sausage. Let's dig in...

My gosh, it was very tasty and very filling. You notice I left a little potato in order to save a little room for dessert, or as they say here, a sweet. I can't let S see what I had, but suffice it to say, it was the best Bread and Butter pudding I have ever had. No, I did not start my day with a large breakfast, and no, I did not have a large supper later in the day. I could only eat one meal like this a day.

I would have joined K3 for an after lunch jog, but then I would not have been able to take pictures. The village of Lake Windemere has loads of twisting, shop-filled streets. Also gorgeous homes and hotels.

The hills of Cumbria are filled with rock walls along and around numerous pastures.

The town of Kendall where Beatrice Potter wrote "Peter Rabbit". Lots of blowing gray clouds.

Not a lot of traffic on the roads in this part of the country.

But there were lots of sheep on every hill.

We saw this pretty rain bow on the drive home.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos. A perfect day. Hope you are enjoying Scotland
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather looks good! I wish I had visited some of the Beatrix Potter places on my last visit of Windermere. Beware how much you eat! I swear I gained 10 pounds in a two week vacation...and Ingrid and I did tons of walking too! Love the plethora of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful places and photos! I would love to go for the food there, yum. No matter what the weather, it's all good! Thanks for sharing the places and travel with us!

    ReplyDelete