What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Scouts on the range

Shooting range that is. Our troop received a gift of several air rifle pellet guns recently, so we held our troop meeting at the farm last night. 18 Scouts, 2 adults, and 8 assorted rifles. I had my camera, but was so busy running the range, I forgot to take any photos of our firing line with tables, 8 shooting stations, and all covered with a giant tarp for shade. I even had my truck parked behind us with our U.S. and Troop flags waving in the breeze! After we finished and guys started heading home, I brought out the AR-15 for some "louder" shooting. Fortunately, K8 brought the camera. This young Scout demonstrates how to listen and keep his finger off the trigger while flipping the selector switch from "safe" to "fire".

Now I can move back and he is ready to shoot down range.

I actually let all of them shoot a 20 gauge shotgun under K8's supervision prior to the AR-15, but again, I forgot the camera because I was totally focused on range safety.

They all enjoyed themselves.

A few of the boys required a "reminder" slap to the back of the head to help calm their excitement and keep their finger off the trigger until given the okay to fire. I hate repeating myself, especially after the 50th time of saying, "keep your finger off the trigger". It worked - you notice he got his finger out pretty quick. Overall a successful evening - no boys or animals were killed or injured during the production of this post.

3 comments:

  1. Just to give you the warm fuzzies, I have to tell you I went online to look at hand guns. I'm thinking in the future we'll get a nice female weighted semi automatic for me. Maybe a .38, but I'll have to do some research to see what I like. I'm not ready to be packing heat while having 3 little ones around. Gonna wait until once they get a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome!
    If only the girls could do THAT for an activity!
    That would be so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GUNS!!! Sounds like lots of BOY fun . . . lol We got to shoot guns at camp and it wasn't my favorite thing, but it was pretty cool : )

    ReplyDelete