What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Milk and memories

We got over a half gallon from milking Little Darlin this morning. After feeding some to the cats in the barn and filling a half gallon bottle, I still had some left.  

Usually I just pour it in a cup or glass and drink it, but today I remembered one of my souvenirs from my trip to Hong Kong in 1990. My half pint glass bottle from the Kowloon Dairy! Here is the front of bottle.

Here is the back of bottle with Chinese writing. There was a milk dispensing machine near the ferry landing where I would catch a ride from the island over to the mainland. I made frequent trips across the harbor, so naturally I bought lots of milk while coming and going - mostly chocolate milk of course, but occasionally white milk. I kept one bottle to preserve the good memories of an enjoyable voyage. My ship also stopped in Hawaii, Australia, Singapore, and Thailand that year.

Math question of the day - How many half pints go into a half gallon?

8 comments:

  1. Half a pint is 1 cup, right? So the answer is 8 cups in a half gallon. That milk looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually wouldn't the answer be 8 half pints in one half gallon : ) ? ? ?
    I agree with you that milk looks really tasty....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are both incorrect...half a pint is about 240 mL..or 1 cup and a half gallon is about 1.9 L... and if 1000 mL goes into 1L?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3.9 or 4 PINTS (not half pints...my pregnant brain) makes a half gallon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a question. How many home schooled girls does it take to solve one milky math problem? Oh, by the way, I drank the milk, so I guess the answer now is zero.

    Now for a multiplication question - I have gone through 7 half gallons of fresh Darlin milk since posting this item; how many half pints would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roughly 8 half pints*7 half gallons? Alot of milk Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, oh, oh, ... can I answer this one!!!! I want to say fifty six half-pints. Thanks for the math problem, I needed to stimulate that side of the brain today. :-)

    ReplyDelete