What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Meet Percy, the bottle fed Saanen buckling.

I had the opportunity to buy this little goat buckling for $15 from a church friend, so I thought it was a cheap way to put some goat meat in the freezer. I hadn't counted on K8 adopting this little cutie, and since he is the guy who volunteered to feed it a bottle every 4 hours, he gets to decide Percy's name and future. Looks like we'll have 3 Alpine dairy goat does and 1 Saanen dairy breed buck...and lots of cross bred babies in the future. I'll eventually get some goat meat in the freezer.

No, the dogs are not circling for the kill. They tolerate the little buckling rather well, in fact...

...he lives on the front porch with them.

I like the looks of the all-white Saanen breed. I may have to get a few does. They will be a good match with our all-white St Croix sheep.

K8 has me set my alarm for 0345 every morning so I can get him up for the o'dark-thirty feeding, which he dutifully does without complaining. It is great to see  my youngest son take on this big responsibility. Its one of the reasons we moved to a rural farm.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! Way to go K8! I like the name choice as well. Sir Percy Blakeney was the Scarlet Pimpernel, and I love that book. Percy is a handsome goat.

    ReplyDelete