What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Freeze Camp

I was recently made Scout Master of our Boy Scout Troop. For the past 1 1/2 years as an Assistant, I helped plan and arrange logistics, and studiously avoided going on any hikes or camp-outs. Not any more. My predecessor had scheduled a camp for last weekend and I had to go. These pics are from last Saturday. It was dark by 5:00 P.M. Friday when we set-up on our farm's hill side. 

We had a full moon Friday night and the boys played in the pasture in the back ground - the one that is covered in heavy frost. Temperature got down to about 0  during the night. I slept on the cot in lower right, next to the fire. It was about 13 degrees F at time of this photo.

Some of the late risers Saturday morning standing by the fire waiting for hot chocolate.

These two had light sleeping bags and wisely chose to sleep on the ground next to fire during the night. I awoke every hour and put more wood on to keep the flames blazing and warm. You see some hammocks in the background of some of our more adventurous. 

The boys hooked-up the trailer and we headed downhill to cut firewood. 

Oops! The boys thought they had hooked-up the trailer, but not as securely as they should have...it came off and slid under truck. 

Good way to warm-up their muscles, and their brains.

We sold and delivered two trailer loads of firewood for a few hundred dollars, so it was definitely worth camping out in the freezing temperatures.

After cleaning up our camp site...

...we rewarded the boys with a little time with AR-15's on the rifle range. Yes, I made sure everyone had ear protection, a safety briefing, and close supervision. A freezingly fabulous facsimile of a fun feat.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh boys.... I do love the smell of a good camp fire. Way to go on the campout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad you look so cute wrapped up! Camping, Oh what fun it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are crazy to camp in such cold weather!
    But, it looks like it was fun....these are times when I wish I was a boy so I could have gone with you! : )

    ReplyDelete