What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012

Brought "Syrup" home from the butcher shop - 40 one pound bags of stew meat, and 78 one pound packages of hamburger. A total of 118 lbs. of beef for $117.35 processing costs, so I paid about $1.00 a pound. 

We received a large truck-load of red cedar chips as part of our garden make-over, but I decided to move it to a different project.

K7 used a pitch fork and many wheel barrow loads...

...moving it from there...

...across the front yard...

...to the new designated area...

...and dumped it in "The Park". I want to prevent this area from being over run with weeds as well as kill off the ticks that inhabit the weeds (ticks that get on our dogs all summer). I had the 2nd truck load of cedar chips piled just out of view of this photo. K8 and I were shoveling it out over the area while K7 moved the first pile. It smells great! My goal is to get a 3rd load today and finish covering the entire area - the only thing you will see are trees, the top of rocks and red cedar mulch. Cedar chips drive away not only fleas and ticks, but also poisonous copperhead snakes. We put a layer of cedar chips under our front porch and filled the dog beds with it. I need to put some under our firewood storage in the backyard which is a good hiding place for snakes. Next step will be to plant flowers and flowering bushes to beautify our Park.

1 comment:

  1. Another vision in the making. I like the park idea, and repelling of unwanted visiters!

    ReplyDelete