What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

First lamb born at Whipple Wanch!

Lamb arrived while we were in the house eating breakfast this morning (Thursday). We delayed home school to come outside and burn three brush piles before a thunderstorm hit us. We noticed only two of our ewes nearby. The 3rd ewe, Spot (she of miraculous survival from frozen pond last month), had gone off alone behind the bee hives. She showed up an hour later with this little cutie. We were hoping for twins and females, but its a start.

This little guy will be "fixed" in a few weeks, then fattened-up on fresh grass for 10 months before going into the freezer. Why? First off we already have a great ram for our flock, and secondly this little one has black coloring on tips of both ears - that's a flaw for St Croix sheep which can not be passed along. I won't be able to sell any of Spot's off-spring to other breeders. Thirdly, and most importantly, we are raising sheep to feed ourselves. They taste yummy.

Got any name suggestions for this new guy?

9 comments:

  1. If I had a little lamb...I would call him Ringo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Stew? As cute as he is now, I'd have to start calling him something that referred to his future. Otherwise it would be difficult not to be attached.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew-boy. That's what I'd call him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. How 'bout Edge or Tips in honor of his markings. The ears look like they were dipped in ink. Boo, I don't think I could get used to living on the farm and eating the cute offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn't mind eating them if you had had the curry dish we ate on the farm tonight...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about Firstling? If ten lambs are born, do you sell one and pay the proceeds in tithing? I've never had experience with one's increase being in livestock before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did have lamb (Jeff) curry with ya'll after Christmas. It was good. Although his demise was terrorizingly chaotic, it was easier not seeing Jeff as a little lamby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stew...I like that. My mouth is watering thinking about Stew, but as Lamb Chops. My favorite. Smothered in rosemary, sea salt and pepper seared to a tasty crisp.

    Could be called Chop or Chop Chop

    You then can sing his name while preparing for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are you doing with the wool from shaving them? I really like the black tips on the ears they are cute. Call him pepper, or salt.

    ReplyDelete