What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Belle's mystery ailment

Last Monday, Valentines's Day, I was working in the garden while the dogs were running the fence line. Belle suddenly stopped and began screaming. My first thought was she had stepped in a leg-hold trap since my friend has several traps and snares in the woods across my little river in the hopes of catching coyotes and bobcats, but then I thought, no, I don't have any in my yard or pasture. By the time I reached her, she had stopped yelping and was dragging her right rear leg. I took  her inside for doctoring and headed back to the fence line to search the ground. I found a few pieces of wire, so I thought she must have been spiked by one, even though there was no blood anywhere. We took her to the vet at 4:00 P.M. and spent over an hour waiting for two vets and a 3rd year vet student to figure out why Belle had totally lost the use of her leg. They gave me a page out of a vet encyclopedia with some rare and weird ailment with a three inch name called fiber-something-something-something. They gave her a steroid infusion and a bottle of steroid pills. Said she may or may not regain use of her leg. Offered to get her a consult to the University vet school with MRI, etc., but with a starting cost of $3,000, I declined. Belle is not in pain and can hobble up and down the porch stairs, so life goes on...just a little slower.

1 comment: