What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Building a road, sort of

We have several acres of open pasture up on top of our wooded ridge across the stream. I have not been able to use yet...ran out of time, money, fencing, etc. My new neighbor who bought the 40 acres behind us asked if he could run a power line down the hill through my woods to connect to the electric line in my main pasture. He is a super nice guy and it would be much cheaper for him. We won't be able to see it from our back porch, so why not?

 I have an old dirt trail that follows the stream and then climbs up the hill. He did all the work clearing and widening it in preparation for putting in power poles. My long range plan is to clear the under brush and slowly open up the entire hill side in order to double our farm's grazing capacity. This is a good start and doesn't cost me any money. I want to keep most of the big trees so our cows, goats, and sheep have plenty of shade in the summer and shelter during foul weather. Not to mention a camp area for the Boy Scouts.

He also cleared the banks along the stream. Now I need a little bridge! (no, there won't be a troll under it to eat my goats - I'm living in a different fairy tale)

4 comments:

  1. It's good to keep up open lines of comunication with neighbors. And not just the ones that run under ground. Missouri looks beautiful there. Wish I could come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you live in a different fairy tale-that is funny Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooperation—such a nice act between neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's Cool!
    It's great that your neighbors helped you out!

    ReplyDelete