What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Washing machine saga

Do not buy this particular Kenmore brand washer, which is manufactured by Whirlpool. It is cheap, light-weight, and prone to frequent malfunctions. How do I know? I speak from experience having owned 2 of them in the past 8 months. Bought the first one in May 2011 to replace our old reliable Kenmore work horse that died after 10-15 years. Since I grew up trusting the Kenmore brand from Sears, I bought a new one. Little did I know that the simple, reliable mechanical type washers of my youth have all been replaced with new fangled electronic circuitry machines with delicate electronic sensors. 

The new washer lasted less than 2 months and stopped functioning in July. Sears replaced it with an identical model, which then required 2 major repairs itself at great inconvenience to us. While awaiting the latest repair this week, with dirty laundry piling up rapidly, both K2 and Mom spent hours on the phone with multiple Sears employees around the Nation seeking a better solution - which we finally got! If we would bring the "lemon" to the Big City and pay a little more money, we could upgrade to a much better machine. That is exactly what I did yesterday.   

While in the Big City, K8 and I had a few neat experiences. First, while waiting at a traffic light, we saw a bunch of heads and arms pop out of a car across the big, busy intersection, and start waving at us. It was the Allen kids from our Church. Then, after lunch, K8 and I stopped at Barnes and Noble book store and bumped into another Church family from our small town.

Finally got home with the new washer and hooked it up. It is a Kenmore Elite manufactured by LG, which is one of the top brands our repair tech recommended we get. And it was on sale for 40% off! Yes, it was a GOOD DAY.

2 comments:

  1. Boooo to the cheap electronics! Yeah to nice people and good service! I really like the new washer. Hopefully it lasts 10 years or more.
    It's a small world after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a day! lol
    I'm glad it all worked out : )

    ReplyDelete