What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hollywood in review

I don't go to the theater or rent many movies, but here are a few that I watched this year:


Wife rented "Frozen" and made me watch it. Glad I did.

I hadn't intended to watch "Winter Soldier" since I never saw the first movie, but the wife insisted I take her to the theater to watch it. I asked her why she wanted to see it, and said she heard good things about it. Okay, never say no to the wife when she wants to go on a date. I loved the action, good guys vs bad guys, the political message, and the bad guys get their just desserts in the end. The wife pretty much covered her eyes and garbed my arm most of the movie as she doesn't like action flicks with lots of punching, shooting, and aircraft carriers falling out of the sky and crashing into buildings. Who knew it would have all those things? I loved it.

Again, I had no intention of watching "Walter Mitty" since I had read that they totally changed the story line from the book. The wife didn't just rent it, she bought it after seeing it with our boys at the theater. Then she made me watch it. Very glad that she did, because this was an incredibly well made and entertaining movie. Great acting, script writing, music, humor, beautiful scenery, good message, etc. Makes you think and laugh out loud. It ties as the best movie I have seen this year. Has a few bad words, and takes the Lord's name in vain, so I bought an edited DVD version. I can watch this one over and over.

Awesome science fiction movie with lots of action, little romance, lots of humor, scary bad guys, great script, and Tom Cruise as the leading man. Say what you want about him, but as long as he keeps his political beliefs to himself (which he does), I have always liked Tom Cruise as an actor, and this is one of his best roles. Coward to hero. Everybody gets killed, nobody dies. What does that mean? Go watch the movie, and find out. A combination of "Groundhog Day" and "Starship Troopers" and "The Longest Day". "Edge of Tomorrow" is tied with "Walter Mitty" as my absolute two favorite movies of the year. I hated the book, but love the way Christopher McQuarrie (my distant cousin) re-wrote it into a perfect movie. Wish my sister Tina were alive to see it and discuss it, because I know she would have loved it as well. Oh, I guess she has already watched it from the balcony seats. I will own this when it comes out edited on DVD.

Again, had no intention of seeing this flick, but I read a review that shined a positive light on it...and Dwayne Johnson is one of my favorite actors. Took K6 and K7 to the theater last night and watched it in 3D. Good cast of actors and actresses. Adequate script. Plenty of action. Very little Greek mythology. Good guys vs bad guys. High body count. Lots of humor. Interesting plot twist. Bad guys get what they deserve in the end. Unfortunately, some bad words, especially the uncalled for use of the "F" word which ruined it for me.

2 comments:

  1. Seen 'em all except Hercules. Want to watch it. Thanks for the reviews.

    K2

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am I talking about. I haven't seen Winter Soldier or Frozen. I must have just been thinking about the last three when I made my first comment.

    ReplyDelete