What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Movie Reviews

I had no intention of watching "The Hobbit" after I heard Peter Jackson was going to turn it into 3 separate movies. One movie, yes, two movies, maybe, but three movies from one book just to soak us poor addicted Tolkien fans of three times the money? No way! But K7 and K8 really wanted to see it, and they have been such good sons, so I broke down and watched it - twice, once with each son. The first go round, I was slightly distracted by some new characters and story line that Jackson added to one of my top 25 most favorite books, but otherwise, I was very impressed with this movie. On the second visit to the theater, I was able to suppress any irritation I had with Jackson's literary license, and just totally enjoy the action. Very entertaining, and that's the main reason we go to movies. K7 and K8 loved it. Highly recommended. Catch it on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

I am not much for musicals in general except a few like "The Sound of Music" and "White Christmas" (maybe because both are about World War II?), or an occasional Bollywood flick. I never saw the Broadway production of Les Miserables, but I have loved the music for many years. I did see the dramatic movie version with Liam Nielson a few years ago, and, in spite of thinking it rather gloomy and sad, thought it was well done. Just like the Hobbit, I had no intention of seeing this musical drama, mainly because I thought I already knew the story line and did not need any more depressing things in my life after last November's elections and the recent news coming out of the Boy Scouts of America. However, K1 sent two tickets for S's birthday present, so I had to go. The things we do for love. Well, all I can say is, this movie blew me away with the magnificent cast, music, sets, acting, singing, you name it. Who would have thought I would love a story about France and Frenchmen? Unheard of! Usually my idea of a good movie about France is when there are either German or American army tanks rolling across it's countryside, or Horatio Hornblower is sinking French ships in the Napoleonic War. My recommendation? It is fabulous, not to be missed. Warning to parents: there are a few very brief, but inappropriate and irritating scenes in the first half of the movie which flit by rapidly. (Fontaine selling her teeth and a few minutes later with her first "customer", and a little later just before her daughter is rescued from the low-life Inn). Other than these 2 wasted minutes, the rest of the 2 hours and 38 minutes are incredible, gripping, and memorable. The author, Victor Hugo, must have been a religious man, because there are powerful moments of spiritual truth throughout the movie, especially the ending, which made the movie very up lifting instead of sad. Go see it on the big screen while you still can.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED the Hobbit! I think it's a little unnecessary to put it into 3 movies for 3 times the money like you said. I have been wanting to see Les Mis for awhile now. I've seen several Les Mis plays, and I really want to see how well they made the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good recommendations, however, I don't mind waiting to rent them from redbox. Going to the movies now days is like buying the movie on DVD.
    Two minutes of bad scenes is like saying the ice cream was delicious, except for the small cockroach in it. Art and talent are distracting these days. I enjoyed the Liam Nieson version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see the Hobbit! And from what I have heard from you and Laney it was good. So I hope I get to see it : D

    ReplyDelete