What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Back from England

I spent the past two weeks in England helping my Aunt as she recovers from serious illnesses - one of which is mouth cancer, so I never took any photos while at home. As I got on the plane, I realized that I had taken only one photograph during the entire trip, so I pulled out the camera and started making up for lost time. This is the Manchester Airport.

The weather was pretty much cold, cloudy and rainy most of the time. In fact, April 2012 set a record for the most rain ever recorded in England and they had massive flooding problems. I had to cancel my planned trip to the North Somerset Farm Show because that area was the hardest hit. We had a few sunny days in May.

Lifting off and heading back to America and the farm.

Once away from the cities, everything is beautiful green

Reached our cruising altitude of 40,000 feet. Check out the temperature outside the plane - minus 85 F!

I liked this US Airways plane. It had TV screens in the back of every seat, so I had my own personal entertainment center.

I could choose from dozens of movies and TV shows. I watched the latest Mission Impossible and Sherlock Holmes movies going over, and then watched Warhorse coming back. All three were very good.

I also read newspapers and a book while listening to music when not eating or sleeping.

You could follow the flight path across the ocean. The various maps were loaded with interesting geography information.



Maps included a few historical sites like the spot where the passenger ship Titanic sank in 1912 after hitting a giant iceberg...

...and where the U.S. nuclear submarine, USS Thresher, mysteriously sank in 1963.

Here is the only picture I took while in England. My Aunt is blessed with a few wonderful neighbors who look after her. This is Kathleen, an 84 year old Irish Catholic and retired nurse who lives directly across the street. I accompanied her to the grocery store on one of the few sunny days.

4 comments:

  1. It's good you are back safely. England is a beautiful Island! I like the personal TV screens too.
    Does England have bigger grocery stores now? That places looks big for an English shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to go to England sometime and see Buckingham Palace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the grocery stores have gotten large, but you have to drive a ways to get to them. Oh lovely England how I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you're glad to finally be back home. Your plane ride looked way more entertaining than ours . . . lol

    ReplyDelete