What?

...and a Slower Pace of Life!

Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lights, beans, cheese, veggies, action!

Sunday's dinner was black beans and rice smothered under shredded yellow cheese, green bell peppers, purple onions, and red tomatoes. This ranks as one of our family's all time favorite dishes. Easy to make and so very delicious. Soak the beans in water over night, cook in crock-pot during church, chop veggies, add salt, pepper and jalapeno to taste and then enjoy...2 or 3 bowls. S does not make desserts, but I create my own cake by splitting a big slice of her homemade cornbread, melting lots of butter over both halves, and then applying a thick layer of sweet honey - times 2 and I'm ready for a nap.

4 comments:

  1. Big 'Thank You' to my K1 for sending this email:

    Dad,

    Love that you posted the black beans and rice recipe on the blog. The recipe is not quite all there though. You gotta help out the cooks like me who do not intuitively know to fill in the blanks. You've left out measurements, seasonings, amount of water and cooking time...this is the recipe I follow:

    Black Beans & Rice

    16 oz. bag of dried black beans - cover with additional 2 inches of water over the top and allow to soak overnight.

    Drain off the soaking water in the morning (Dad note: some people drain in hopes of reducing "gas", some people keep water in hopes of more nutrients - experiment a little). Place beans in crockpot and cover with water to about an inch over the top of the beans. Add 1 finely chopped small onion (Dad note: more onion is better) and 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Cook on high until beans are tender approximately 4-7 hrs (depending on your type of crockpot).

    Thirty minutes before serving add seasonings: 1 Tbsp. cumin, 1 Tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp salt.

    Serve over rice with toppings. I flavor my 4 cups of rice by steaming it with a teaspoon or two of chicken bouillon.

    Suggested toppings: finely shredded cheese, fresh tomatoes, chopped (green, orange, red, yellow) bell peppers, red onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, fresh lime, and salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That about sums it up. We eat this about twice a month for two reasons: it's extremely economical and, 2nd, it's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m so cheesed off that you haven't updated this bloggie thing in the last week....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm not very happy either. The radio wave internet tower that serves my area has experienced severe technical difficulty the past week. I'm surprised I was able to get online this evening because they called me 10 minutes ago to say they are still working on it and they are giving me a free month's service - that will be nice if I can actually get online.

    ReplyDelete